The specific requirements of SQF are available to you in the free downloadable standard that the SQF Institute provides on their website at: http://www.sqfi.com/documents/.
The requirements are found in the SQF Code, Edition 7.1
The SQF Food Safety Management System requirements are found in Module 2, and include requirements for:
- Management commitment
- Document control and records
- Specification and product development
- Attaining food safety
- SQF System verification
- Product identification, trace, withdrawal and recall
- Site security
- Identity preserved foods (for Level 3 Certification only)
- Allergen management, and
These processes make up the food safety management system.
Learn more! Register for our online training:
Introduction to SQF System Elements This online training session teaches you the requirements of SQF System Elements (Module 2 of the SQF Code). Available on-demand, 1 1/2 hours long. certificate of completion provided.
Food Safety Fundamentals
You must also address requirements for the food safety fundamentals (GMPs and PRPs) to ensure that the organizations facilities (building and equipment) are sufficient to produce safe product. These requirements are found in Modules 3 through 11. You will use the Module that applies to your business segment. The Modules include requirements for:
- Site requirements and approval
- Construction and control of product handling and storage areas
- Personnel hygiene and welfare
- Personnel processing practices
- Water, ice and air supply
- Storage and transport
- Separation of functions
- On-site laboratories
- Waste disposal, and
- Exterior grounds
Learn More! Food Safety Fundamentals This online training session teaches you the prerequisite program requirements for your industry (Food Processor or Food Packaging Manufacturer). Available on-demand, 1 1/2 hours long. certificate of completion provided.
Building your system and achieving certification:
- First you must understand the requirements of the SQF Code. Train your SQF Practitioner. Use our training programs to complete this task.
A. Introduction to SQF System Elements, and
B. SQF Food Safety Fundamentals
Or use our Complete Training Package, which includes both of the above training programs plus all of the products listed in the tasks below and Step-by-Step guidance for the implementation project.
- To address these requirements you will evaluate your current system, identify what must be added or changed in your system to comply with SQF. Use our Gap Analysis to complete this task.
- Document new processes to comply with the requirements of Module 2 of the code, and implement the processes throughout your facility. Use our templates, tutorials and implementation plans to complete this task.
- Design, document and implement GMPs and PRPs to address the requirements of the Food Safety Fundamentals Module. Use our templates to complete this task.
- Train your internal audit team to conduct your internal audits. Use our Online Internal Auditor Training to complete this task.