What is PAS 220?
PAS 220 is a Prerequisite Program Specification (PRP) which has a new name: ISO/TS 22002-1.
Prerequisite programs are programs and practices put in place to address the role the production environment plays in producing safe food products. Many companies have Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) in place; these would be part of the prerequisite programs.
PAS 220 was developed to provide specific prerequisite program requirements for food processors and manufacturers. The PAS 220 has now been withdrawn and replaced by ISO/TS 22002-1, which has requirements identical to those originally published in the PAS 220.
The requirements of ISO/TS 22002-1 must be addressed by companies preparing for FSSC 22000 Certification, and is an excellent document to use to develop PRP programs for any food manufacturer or processor.
In order to prepare for certification you will need to have documentation that specifies how the activities included in the PRPs are managed.
Our FSSC 22000 Templates package provides templates, training, and implementation guidance to assist you in designing and implementing an effective program.
Requirements of ISO/TS 22002-1 (PAS 220)
Prerequisite programs in ISO/TS 22002-1 include requirements for:
- Construction and layout of building
- Layout of premises and workspace
- Utilities - air, water, energy
- Waste disposal
- Equipment suitability, cleaning and maintenance
- Management of purchased material
- Measures for prevention of cross contamination
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Pest control
- Personnel hygiene and employee facilities
- Product recall procedures
- Product information
- Food defense, biovigilance and bioterrorism