FSSC 22000 requires that you design and document a Food Safety Management System (FSMS). The ISO 22000 and the ISO 22002-1 standard contain the specific requirements to be addressed by the FSMS. (Purchase Standards)
Requirements in the ISO 22000 Standard include :
- Having an overall Food Safety Policy for your organization, developed by top management.
- Setting objectives that will drive your companies efforts to comply with this policy.
- Planning and designing a management system and documenting the system.
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system.
- Establishing a group of qualified individuals to make up a Food Safety Team.
- Defining communication procedures to ensure effective communication with important contacts outside the company (regulatory, customers, suppliers and others) and for effective internal communication.
- Having an emergency plan
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance of the FSMS
- Providing adequate resources for the effective operation of the FSMS including appropriately trained and qualified personnel, sufficient infrastructure and appropriate work environment to ensure food safety
- Following HACCP principles
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of product
- Establishing a corrective action system and control of nonconforming product
- Maintaining a documented procedure for handling withdrawal of product
- Controlling monitoring and measuring devices
- Establishing and maintaining and internal audit program
Continually updating and improving the Food Safety Management System
Prerequisite programs in ISO/TS 22002-1 and the ISO/TS 22002-4 include requirements for:
- Construction and layout of building
- Layout of premises and workspace
- Utilities - air, water, energy
- Waste disposal
- Equipment suitability, cleaning and maintenance
- Management of purchased material
- Measures for prevention of cross contamination
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Pest control
- Personnel hygiene and employee facilities
- Product recall procedures
- Product information
- Food defense, biovigilance and bioterrorism